Skill level: intermediate to advanced.
If you love the look of the lampwork beads as much as I do, but lack the skills and tools needed to make them, you will definitely appreciate this clever technique. I will teach you how to make the beads shown here using polymer clay, resin, and one more material, which I will reveal in the tutorial. This third material is cheap and can be found in any craft store.
The tutorial contains detailed instructions explaining how to shape the beads with the subtle patterns on them and how to decorate the beads with swirls and an iris motif.
This tutorial includes:
- Detailed list of materials, including information about the brands and the best places where to buy these materials;
- Complete list of tools needed to finish this project;
- 16 pages of detailed step-by-step explanations how to make all faux lampwork beads shown in the first picture on this page;
- Additional notes and tips to guide you though this project;
- Thirty five big full-color pictures showing every step;
- A twelve-step scheme explaining how to create the iris motif.
Once you master these steps, you will be able to make any beads you want! This tutorial teaches a new technique, which you will be able to apply for an endless number of your own designs. The last three pictures on this page demonstrate a few technique variations. Place a mouse over the small pictures to see them enlarged.
If you need additional instructions for working with two-part epoxy resin, please refer to my detailed step-by-step tutorial How to use EnviroTex Lite or ICE resin
Example Pages from Faux Lampwork with Swirls and Flowers Polymer Clay Tutorial