Polymer Clay and Resin Tutorial
What is Steampunk? In short, it is a fiction genre that celebrates steam power and machines. Think of Jules Verne and James Blaylock. This style is continued in visual arts and music. For more information - Google.
In this polymer clay and resin tutorial, I show how to make this gorgeous necklace with an original butterfly pendant. You will need a pre-fabricated filigree part for one wing of the butterfly and some cogwheels from a mechanical watch for the other. Which parts to choose and how to arrange them is your choice, so no two necklaces are ever going to be the same.
The color of the butterfly is created using polymer clay. The choice is yours, and you can make this necklace in any color combination you want. The glass-like finish on the pendant is created with resin.
The techniques you will learn with this tutorial can be used for many future projects. Think of the possibilities!
This tutorial includes:
- Detailed list of materials, including information about the brands and the best places where to buy these materials;
- Complete list of tools needed to finish this project;
- Fifteen pages of detailed step-by-step explanations how to make the pendant and the necklace;
- Additional notes, tips, and optional steps to guide you though this project;
- More than thirty big full-color pictures showing every step.
The first picture on this page shows the project described in this tutorial. Three additional pictures demonstrate some of the possible variations. Place a mouse over the small pictures to see a bigger image.
If you need additional instructions for working with two-part epoxy resin, please refer to my detailed step-by-step tutorial How to use EnviroTex Lite or ICE resin
Example Pages from Steampunk Butterfly Necklace Tutorial